Monday 25 August 2008

Attack of the Oz-man...

And at last - here's where I come in!!!

What does a researcher do, exactly? Well - in MY case...I'm the guy that takes news stories and documentaries and checks out details. I'm the one that chase up criminal records, bad debts, home address for legal notification of intended broadcast to be sent to people who are going to be mentioned on the box. I'm the guy that makes sure that when a journalist knocks at someone's door with an outside broadcast news team and sticks a furry mike in some guy's mush and asks "DID you kill the kid next door..."...he's knocked on the RIGHT door!

You ever tried to find out information on somebody on the Internet? And gone to all those free sites that let you check up that some DOES exist - but if you REALLY want to know their address, their credit record, their shoe size, their sexual proclivities, their criminal record, whether there's any outstanding court judgements against them, where they shop...please melt your credit card to the tune of $3,000,000US and PLEASE have your company tax number to prove you're REALLY a business and not some nosy neighbour???

Well - I work for the sort of business that NEEDS to pay for those premium services. I'm the guy that has all those icons on my PC desktop. I'm the guy that a jounalist throws a name at over his placcy cup of coffee and says "Find me when that guy last used his credit card?" or "Find me his family tree down to the 13th century" ...and "if you need to ring forty-seven premium rate numbers in the U.S. at peak time, go right ahead". I'm the guy that finds out things for the guy that knocks the door to "Slasher's" house, or finds out when he bought his last chainsaw. I'm the guy that finds out the name of the blonde in the video when all you can see is some guy's arse on the job...

MY turn to play with Paul Kenneth Harker....

No comments: