Sunday 24 August 2008

NOW it gets sick...

Ok, let's take a CLOSE look at the reviews.

One of them pisses me off badly. My ol' dad fought on Crete in '41, and after being brought back spent a year of hell in New Guinea. He lived plenty long after that, but his health was never good after Morseby.

That's one of the reasons this wanker harker gets on my tits so bad. He's faking a war vet. I don't mind fiction, like it as much as the next bloke, but faking like this - that's sick. ANY nationality, even bastards...

So what does he go and do??? INVENTS ANOTHER ONE!

take a look at "J.Tyler's" review...

"Thank you Mr. Schiller and Mr. Harker. 62 years ago I was a 17 year old boy in the 99th US Infantry. I traveled from Portsmouth England to the Normandy beachhead on June 12th 1944. I arrived in-country almost a week after D-Day and spent the next 9 months battling my way to Berlin. I was also part of the Ardennes conflict - which we refer to as the Battle of the Bulge. I took part in several skirmishes against Priess's and Dietrich's SS units and Peiper got the better of my unit north of St. Vith in Belgium. My son gave me Directive 19 for Father's Day and it's the only book I've read about the Nazis that explained what they were thinking and why they did it. I spent 9 months in foxholes wondering what in God's name it was all about! I spent 62 years knowing what I was told but that never made complete sense. I guess there's a need for most Vets to know and understand what their enemy was thinking and feeling. Directive 19 allowed me to "meet" Mr. Schiller and hear his side of it. I don't agree with the political motivations and I abhor the concentration camps. I entered Dachau and saw that mess. However, Mr. Schiller allowed me to look down the barrel of "his" rifle while he was aiming at me - so to speak. This book told me what the Nazis thought of us and how they approached combat objectives. I can't close my comments without touching on the main focus of this book which is the holocaust. I remembering entering Dachau in 1945 and seeing the absolute testament of man's inhumanity to fellow man. To know that Mr. Schiller was a part of that decision making process turns my stomach. I must say I admire his honesty and integrity. He was tried and punished. He deserved that in my humble opinion. Despite this aspect of the book I was thrilled to learn about German tactics and strategy on the Eastern - and especially on the Western front. It helped me understand how an under-strengthed and poorly supplied army in the Ardennes had such success against us initially. It made me realize how naïve we were in our basic practices of warfare. It helped me understand a lot of things and helped me solve a 62 year old puzzle of what I was fighting for. It helped justify the deaths of a lot of my buddies in combat. I don't know if Directive 19 is good or bad as a book. I'm not a critic. I felt it necessary to write this review for the sake of any fellow Allied veterans like me who spent so many years wondering what it was all about back there. Read this book if you want to understand it."

How good are YOU at researching??? See what YOU can find out on this....

No comments: