Saturday 23 August 2008

Strewth! You'll never believe this crock!

G'day mates! You haven't seen me before on the Internet. I'm Gibby from Oz, from down here in Melbourne. By day I'm a content researcher for our Melbourne-based station - Chanel no. Seven - and by night??? More of the same if they're payin' overtime!

On my own time, over the last couple of months I've been followin a real bunfight out there on the Internet. A couple of mates in Sydney put me on to this as they knew my family history, all about my dad who fought in the war. I've always been interested in history because of that - but I didn't expect to find all THIS too...

What am I talking about? Well, a couple of years back, an American called Paul Harker - or Paul K. Harker as he likes to be called - published a couple of books about the Seocnd World War. The first one came out in 2006, and was called "Directive 19". The second came out a year later and was called "Honor Denied". THIS one was the memoirs of a guy called Karl Von Metzger, a German radio operator during the war, but it was the FIRST book I was more interested in when I was told about it.

"Directive 19" is another memoir; by a guy called Rolf Otto Schiller, and complied by Harker, as he insists in saying. But...see since the day it was published? There's been a LOT of people very unhappy at the book.

Why? It's supposed to be about the career of a guy who was in the SS in Germany during the war, and who was very closely incolved with the Holocaust and all that. If you read the book this guy seems to have been involved in nearly every major decision made about killing the Jews in WWII. When you get a hold of the book in your hands, it looks like it's really goin to be a major contribution to what we know about all that...

Here's the rub - it's not. I've been following bits and pieces about Harker and his book for a couple of years now, for when I first heard about it I was really suprised he had to SELF-publish it. Let's face it - there's a HUGE business in death out there. People buy books on the Holocaust hand over fist. Put the big "H"-word on the cover and you've got yerself a bestseller. Same as Monty, or a Spitfire, or a Tiger tank - put it in the title or ton cover of a book about the Second World War and it sells by the thousand...and the SS beats all of them. Get THEM into the title or onto the cover and yer minted, goldplated.

I'm a researcher, it's what I do. I find stuff for people, I double-check other people's facts to make sure they're not about to make a dick of themselves. So for a while now I've been diggin in on Paul Harker and "Directive 19" - THEN me mates told me about a group of guys, guys who are published military writers and historians, and I.T heads, who have been looking into it too...

Bloody hell - I'M good but these blokes are bloody great! And it's about time you all heard HOW great - for they've turned up something REALLY messy, something so damn bloody disgusting that you need to know - because if you've found your way here, it's because YOU've been lookin too, mate!

2 comments:

Gettysburg said...

Spread the word, Gibby. I don't know who you are, man, but you're on the right lines if you're going where I think you're going with this!

Gibby said...

Hoped you like the rest of it, mate!